Thursday, October 31, 2013

 ‘THEthe poetry’ takes its name from Wallace Stevens poems, but encourages a cultural mixture of writers and critics, writing poems, posts, debating, and analyzing each others writing. The blog name draws the reader in with its seemingly obscure title, but the inclusiveness and recognition by everyone involved in the blog that there are many different forms of poetry brings a new feel to poetry I hadn't experienced before.
“The land of ABCs, we abracadabra to acacia accordion.” The first line of Gene Tanta’s poem ‘The Poem of A with no Beginning grabbed my right away because of the euphory she uses. I thought it was my favorite line in the poem until I got to this one.  ‘The river was like watching silent film alone with nothing to alphabet the amen.’ I can’t put the image this gives me in words. It made me think about how we contemplate silently inside our own minds without using language to describe it to ourselves. We just know.

However, I was very intrigued by Aimee Suzara’s poem ‘Tiny Fires.’ Her interpretation of free verse really caught my eye. The disorganization and confusion allows for the poem to be read in a number of different ways. Not just with tone like other poems can, but literally in the order of the words. I found it quite interesting how she did this. What I really like though was the paragraph in the middle of the poem. I think this poem defines what free verse is in the best way possible. 

1 comment:

  1. Ben, I'm looking for both a poetry reading blog post and your final project proposal.

    ReplyDelete